cold weather, progress

the weather has turned downright chilly over the past week or two. but progress continues, and i’ve reached a couple more milestones in the construction process. the metal roofing is complete and the space is fully dried-in.

i’m choosing to install the wood siding as a rain screen. basically, instead of mounting the siding boards directly over top of the building paper, there is an air gap between them. this allows the wood siding to breath and dry out more quickly and easily. this method provides a more durable envelope. the wood furring strips that will hold the siding off of the sheathing are installed and i’ll begin installing the siding shortly. i’m pretty excited to see how it turns out. stay tuned.

hand toolswane edgeyellow poplar timberready for sidingready for sidingwindow groupentry porchredwoodporch window frameframe ready for installframe detail

New Shop Mates

The cooperative aspect of the woodshop has seen some pretty big changes over the past few months. Andy, who was a major force and presence in the space, decided to move out of town. His leaving has been a big transition.

Shorty after his departure, two friends independently showed up inquiring about possibilities of sharing the space. They are both fantastic souls who bring a fresh and different approach to the wood crafts.

Ira is a tree working/timber framer/builder/permaculturalist/woodworker. He and his partner recently moved to Asheville from New England. Asheville’s a better place for it as they are both very community-minded and give much of themselves in the spirit of creativity and consciousness raising.

Josh is the founder of Vintage Roots Guitars. He’s building a business making custom, one-of-a-kind guitars. He and his partner own a piece of land just out of town and have been building their homestead there.

I’m thankful for the introduction of such positive, creative energy in the shop. Big thanks to Josh and Ira for holding down the co-op spirit with me!

New Shop Scene

Eyes, a Raincoat, and a Hat

PS1 is progressing nicely. This has been a big week for continued evolution and transformation:

Eyes:
On Monday I  cut the openings for all window openings, which lightened up the space inside tremendously. It’s exciting to see how open and airy it feels. And the aspect of looking out from within emerged for the first time. Imagining the outside context, and how on a house on wheels, this is much more of a fluid and changing scene. An interesting notion that sparks novelty and excitement in this architect mind.

Raincoat:
Once I cut the openings for the windows, it was a quick dash to install the windows and weatherproof the envelope asap. after some steady rain, a little water, some head scratching, troubleshooting, and finding a flaw in my weatherproofing, i’m fairly confident that the little house is completely “dried in” or rainproofed.

Cap:
Yesterday and this morning brought the addition of a nice red-orange metal roof. Quite dashing I think.

A big thank you to Michael Mooney for the assist on installing the metal panels!

Process photo gallery here.

PS1 New Roof

PS1 Gets Spacial

Finally lifted the second long wall and the roof. It’s been an interesting process. I’ve only had access to help sporadically, so I’ve been developing techniques to make these moments easier with fewer people. For example, I created hinges that pinned the walls to the floor deck and ensured that when lifted, the wall would settle in the right spot at the edge of the floor and not be able to tip too far. And I built the roof in two sections on the ground in the shop with bolted connections so it would be stronger. Then, we lifted the light sections by hand up on top of the walls. Everything has gone together brilliantly.

It’s exciting to start to see some verticality and space!

Gallery here.

20091024-ps1-20

latest ps1 progress

i’ve been framing walls, gathering materials, developing the details for a few key places, squaring and sheathing the first wall, and researching where to source the last of the materials i’ll need to finish building the shell. below are some results, including the tiny stack of red metal roofing. so cute!

coming soon: verticality and space!

alternate view via simpleviewer gallery here.

PS1 construction process: insulation

Icynene insulation installed by Home Energy Partners. They’ve been very supportive and flexible of the pocket shelters project. They don’t normally do such small installs, but they’re interested in the concept and hope to collaborate more on future structures. Thanks Ryan and Tom!

Subfloor is installed on top of the insulated floor, all closed up. Now it’s ready for wall framing. After the walls and roof are framed and sheathed, H.E.P. will do a second spray to insulate the remainder of the building envelope.

More info on Icynene here.

mock it up

i’m finally back into the swing of designing the first pocket shelter prototype. we made the jump from paper to 3d reality when we mocked-up up the loft sleeping space to get down to fractions of an inch in terms of just how much space seems optimal for sleeping, reading, other such horizontaling, etc. there’s a balance to be found between space above (the loft) and space below (the kitchen/counter area). there’s really no substitute for putting your body in a space to really be able to understand what it is and what it wants to be.

i’m folding what we learned from the mockup into the construction drawings, which are close to finished. i hope to actually start framing in the coming week or so! stay tuned.

loft mock up